Sunday, February 10, 2013

Session 1

So it begins....A little earlier than I expected.  I have been playing with one my groups for around 12 years now and we have played a lot of games.  We started out with D&D 3.5 and we later tried Mutants and Masterminds 2nd Edition, Savage Worlds:  Necessary Evil, Shadow Run, Pathfinder, Star Wars RPG (although I skipped that one) and the Dresden Files. Currently, we have been running the Dresden Files, which we had planned to wrap up fairly shortly.  Anyway, this last Thursday, my friend Grant, the Dresden Files GM, had to make a sudden business trip to California so we decided to give my Savage Worlds: Beasts and Barbarians campaign an early start.

Instead of starting out on the planned adventure, The Citadel of the Winged Gods, I decided to run short adventure The Cliffs Queen's Court instead.  It had been years since most of us had played Savage Worlds so I figured a good warm up adventure was a good place to start.  I brought a number of pre-generated characters but only Brandi ended up using one.  Chris had already created his so Amy and Rianna spent the first part of the session making their characters, which was alright with me.  It gave us a chance to eat the splendid ice cream cake that Rianna had picked up as this night's session was also our group's celebration of my birthday which had actually happened a few weeks before.  Bad weather had prevented us from getting together for the last two weeks.

Here are our heroes so far



Brandi is playing an archer character that I put together. Rianna (who is married to Grant, who could not be there this session) is playing a temptress character that uses distraction to great effect in a fight.  Chris (who is married to Amy) is playing a character that has some magic, some rogue skills and who wields two swords in a fight. Amy is playing a straight up kick ass amazon warrior who uses a sword and shield.

To begin, the party had escaped their caravan's destruction at the hands of Cairnlander marauders.  However, Hawk, Amy's amazon, had slain the son of Corpse-raper, the leader of the marauders.  Corpse-raper had sworn vengeance and his men were in hot pursuit of the heroes.

A group of 8 marauders encountered managed to corner the heroes on sea side cliff that was covered in dense fog.  A Cairnlander called out to the group that they would sleep in Hell this night.  Katrina, Brandi's archer shot his throat out (a lucky shot that was the result of a bennie being spent on a re-roll) and the fight was on.




With sword, arrow, distraction and summoned wolves, the party was victorious.  Despite their victory, the party could hear the rest of the marauders coming for them.  Katrina had spotted a trail descending down the side of cliff just before the fight and the party decided to follow it.  When we left off, the party had just discovered an ancient, rusty, algae covered door set into the rock face...

I think that we finish this up next Thursday although Brandi can't make it due to Parent teacher conference.  Grant will probably just play Brandi's archer.  The next session after that, I assume that we will be back to finish up the Dresden Files.

I mentioned earlier that the group celebrated my birthday at this session.  I had been working on a custom GM screen for this game but Chris and Amy beat me to it and gave me one as a birthday present.  I loved it.  I could not have picked out any better art work for it than they did.



Very cool gift.  Just as cool was the Bluth Banana stand shirt that Brandi gave me.

No comments:

Post a Comment